Are you planning for the Upper Mustang trek in 2022? If yes, you have chosen the perfect walk in the Himalayas. With the ultimate guide, cost, and preparations, you can conclude this trek with comfort.
In 1992, the first trek to Upper Mustang started. Since then, it has been a favourite place for a traveller to hike for weeks. The less crowded trail and tempting landscape of the Upper Mustang make the day hike filled with adventure.
Even doable all year round except some winter months, this place is perfect for trekking. The beautiful Jomsom and gorge of Kali Gandaki start the trek with a fantastic sightseeing experience. On top, the ancient palace of Lo, caves, Gompas, and several high Himalayan Passes make the trekking an actual adventure.
Let’s explore the things you need to know for Upper Mustang Trek in 2022/2023.
What makes Upper Mustang a best travel destination in 2022?
Upper Mustang, often called a gem of the Annapurna region, is the best place to be on vacation. Travellers across the globe love to trek to Upper Mustang. The arid terrain and snow-capped mountains make it one of the favourites for travel. On top of that, the centuries-old Tibetan culture and religious practices are the things that make Upper Mustang a best trekking destination in 2022.
History of Upper Mustang
Once a forbidden Kingdom of Lo, Upper Mustang had its rulers. Still, the then royal family members and royal palaces are the most visited site in Lo Manthang. The place is on the Tibet border, so the people practice the traditional culture and religions. Even the landscape in Nepal since the 18th century, people at this place speak Tibetan as a primary language.
Beautiful landscape of Upper Mustang
A rugged yet doable trekking route to Upper Mustang makes the walk tiresome. But, with the majestic view of the landscape, you’ll forget the fatigue and sweat during the hike. The beauty of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri garnishes the landscape beautifully. With the appropriate gears and preparations, you’ll complete this trek with ease.
upper mustang trek 2022
What is the best time for the Upper Mustang trek in 2022/2023?
Upper Mustang is in the rain shadow area. All the credit goes to Annapurna mountain range, which blocks the clouds to cause rain here. Due to this, the Upper Mustang trek is doable all year round.
Upper Mustang trek weather in June, July, and August
Even in the Summer days, Upper Mustang barely receives rainfall. There will be rain at lower altitudes like Jomsom. But, at Lo Manthang, the days become warmer and ideal for a day hike.
Upper Mustang trek weather in March, April, and May
The Spring months like March, April, and May are the best months to trek to Upper Mustang. Also, the Autumn days in September, October, and November are preferable for touring. The crispy sky, warm day temperature, and utmost visibility make it the best time for sightseeing.
During these months, the daytime temperature averages 22°C. But, the nighttime temperature is chilly. Some warm jackets can keep you warm all night.
Upper Mustang trek weather in December, January, and February
Winter is harsh in the high Himalayas. Thus, months like January and February are not best for the Upper Mustang trek in winter. The temperature falls below freezing at -22°C with thick snowfall for weeks.
What is the best itinerary of trekking Upper Mustang in 2022?
The Upper Mustang trek itinerary is flexible. You can customize your itinerary for Upper Mustang trekking based on your needs.
If you want to start Upper Mustang trekking from Kathmandu, the tour days increase slightly. If you start this trekking by flying to Jomsom from Pokhara, you’ll complete Upper Mustang trek in fewer days. Even on the trekking, you can stay some days at Lo Manthang for sightseeing. If you feel like taking a horse ride, it also changes the itinerary you choose.
Standard itinerary for Upper Mustang trek in 2022.
- Day 1: Take a flight/drive for 6 hours from Kathmandu to Pokhara (827 metres).
Overnight at Pokhara.
- Day 2: Fly to Jomsom (2,700 metres) from Pokhara. Trek for four-hour from Jomsom to Kagbeni (2,810 meters). Overnight at Kagbeni.
- Day 3: Trek to Chele (3,050 metres) from Kagbeni. Overnight at Chele.
- Day 4: Trek to Syanboche (3,475 metres) from Chele for 7 hours. Overnight at Syanboche.
- Day 5: Trek To Ghami (3,520 metres) from Syanboche for 6 hours. Overnight at Ghami.
- Day 6: Trek to Tsarang (3,620 metres) for 6 hours. Overnight at Tsarang.
- Day 7: Trek to Lo Manthang (3,780 metres) from Tsarang for 4 hours. Overnight at Lo Manthang.
- Day 8: Day for acclimatisation in Lo Manthang. Overnight at Lo Manthang.
- Day 9: Trek to Dhakmar (3,810 metres) from Lo Manthang Via Grkar route for 7 hours. Overnight at Drakmar.
- Day 10: Trek to Ghiling (3,570 metres) for 6 hours. Overnight at Ghiling.
- Day 11: Trek to Chuskang (2,950 metres) from Ghiling for 6 hours. Overnight in Chuskang.
- Day 12: Trek to Jomsom (2,700 metres) from Chuskang for 7 hours. Overnight at Jomsom.
- Day 13: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara. Overnight in Pokhara
- Day 14: Fly/Drive back from Pokhara to Kathmandu.
Check out the detailed itinerary for Upper Mustang trek.
What are the things to pack for the Upper Mustang trek?
Upper Mustang Trek is a two-week-long walk on the Himalayas. The rough trails, windspeed, and sunburn are the most common characteristics of this trekking. Thus, to trek to Upper Mustang, you must have appropriate gears. The quality trekking boots, waterproof and windproof jackets, water bottles, sunglasses are the main trekking gears for Upper Mustang trek. As this place is dry and windy, you must carry skin protection items too.
To make your day walk burdensome, you’ll have porters to carry your bags. Thus, you have to put only the necessary gears on your backpack.
Here are the list of trekking gears for Upper Mustang trek.
- Waterproof jackets (Down)
- Waterproof shorts and pants especially for hiking
- Thermal trousers for overnight
- Inner wears, socks, gloves, and slippers
- Sun glass and eye wears with straps
- Trekking boots and sticks
- Cotton roll, Bandage
- Vitamin C supplement
- Paracetamol to prevent fever and headaches
- Throat Lozenges to get rid of sore throat
- Water purification tablets
- NIfedipine 60 mg in case you get Higher Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE). This medicine is prescribed only under the supervision of a medical practitioner.
- Antiemetic tablets for vomiting and nausea. (10 tablets)
- Lip Balm, Moisturizer
- Soap, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste etc.
- Body towels (quick drying)
- Nail trimmers
- Sanitary pads for female trekkers.
- Sport wearables if possible.
Learn more in details about gears for the Upper Mustang trek here.
What are the physical fitness required for Upper Mustang trek in 2022?
It is always better to have a sound physique even if you are not trekking. In the case of trekking in the Himalayas, you have to walk for long hours each day. Due to this, you’ll get fatigued. And in some cases, you wouldn’t finish the trek.
The Trek to Upper Mustang is on the rough nature trail. But, it doesn’t mean that you can’t traverse it. This trek is a moderate-grade trek. But walking all day will tire you. Even without having any past trekking experience, you can complete this trekking.
We recommend you have a certain fitness level before joining the Upper Mustang trek. At least, you should be able to walk for 6,7 hours each day for two weeks. For preparation for this trek, you can do some cardio at the gym for a week. You can also practice some hiking activities beforehand.
Will I get AMS while trekking to Upper Mustang?
AMS stands for Acute Mountain Sickness. People also term it altitude sickness. It happens when you start ascending over 3,000 metres. But, in general, it begins at an altitude of 2,400 meters.
The Upper Mustang trek is the walk-in Himalayas. The destination Lo Manthang sits at 3,700 metres. At this altitude, the oxygen gets thinner and makes it difficult to breathe. Moreover, you’ll feel nausea, vomiting, short breath, and headaches.
You’ll likely get AMS, but with proper rest and acclimatization, you’ll complete it without any issues. Trekkers first get scared of this but on trekking, the longer walking hours acclimate the body gradually. Also, a day for sightseeing at Lo Manthang makes your body used to the altitude.
If you feel like stopping for rest, you can stop at Ghami, Chele, or Charang for acclimatisation.
Also, taking medicines like Nifedipine 60 mg and Anti emetic will keep you away from AMS.
What is the style of accommodation in Upper Mustang Trek?
The word “guest house” refers to the tea house-based accommodation in the Himalayas. Accommodation in Upper Mustang Trek is a tea house-based. It means you’ll get the basic requirements like a hot shower, good food, and comfortable beds.
In Kathmandu and Pokhara, you’ll get three-star service. You can enjoy the best out of it. At Kagbeni, you’ll stay at a decent lodge where you’ll get a hot shower and drinks.
As you hike to Upper Mustang, the tea house en route offers good food and lodging. You can’t expect the service to be a luxury one. These accommodations serve protein and carbohydrate-rich foods. There is some decent lodge up to Lo Manthang.
For your taste, you can carry some pickles and dry meats. And also, some ready-to-serve coffee packets will save you the cost of tea. If you feel like carrying your sleeping bag and pillowcase, it will be wise.
Do I need permits for Upper Mustang trek?
Yes, you must have two government-issued permits for the Upper Mustang trek. Let’s explore these permits and their necessities.
First, Upper Mustang is a restricted area by the Nepal government. This area lies close to the Tibetan border. Thus, only buying a permit from the government lets you tour Upper Mustang.
Types of Upper Mustang trek permit
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) permit lets you enter the Annapurna region. This permit costs you $30. It’s a once buy, and you can tour Annapurna region without any restrictions. But, to enter Upper Mustang, you need a special permit.
- Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is the one that lets you enter the restricted Upper Mustang area. This permit is expensive. It costs you $500 that is valid for ten days. After expiry, if you still want to continue the trek, you have to pay $50 for a day.
|Permit||Accessible Area||Permit Fee|
|Annapurna Conservation Area Project |
|Lower Mustang and Annapurna regions||$30|
|Restricted Area Permit |
|Lo Manthang||$500 for ten days.|
$50 for additional one day
Where can I book the Upper Mustang trek for 2022?
In Nepal, you’ll find more than thousands of tour and trekking companies. But, not every company delivers quality service.
While booking for Upper Mustang, as a traveler, a trustable company with satisfactory trekking success results is what you need. Also, you require a perfect guide and trek management to complete the Upper Mustang trekking.
Want to book your Upper Mustang Trek with us?
You can book your Upper Mustang trek with us at Actual Adventure. We are always happy to welcome you and make your trip successful and memorable. Our proven records and positive reviews from satisfied customers speak to the facts. Our quality service and excellent management with seasoned guides will make your trekking perfect.
You can also email to email@example.com for bookings and availability of this tour.
Learn more about our team here.
Learn more about our 17 days Upper Mustang trek.
We hope you find this article useful. For further information, feel free to reach our representatives.